• Special Education

    Special Education services help ensure that Green Island students are provided with special education services consistent with New York State Education Department regulations.

    Individualized Education Program (IEP)

    If your child is eligible for special education services and/or programs, the Committee on Special Education must meet to develop a plan to meet your child’s unique needs. This plan is called an Individualized Education Program (IEP).

    How is an IEP developed?

    The IEP development process must consider:

    • your child’s strengths;
    • your concerns for your child’s education;
    • the results of your child’s individual evaluation;
    • the results of any state or districtwide tests or assessments; and
    • any unique needs related to your child’s disability (such as communication needs, behavior, etc.).

    The IEP evolves from a discussion that begins with how your child is doing in school (current level of functioning). From that base, the Committee agrees on the goals your child should be working toward. The Committee then discusses the supports and services and modifications that the child needs to reach those goals. Finally, the Committee determines where those special education services will be provided (location and placement). The location where services will be provided and the student’s placement must be in the least restrictive environment. For preschool children with disabilities, special education services can be delivered in day care, a regular preschool program or other early childhood program in which you have enrolled your child.

    Non-Regents Diploma Options for Students with Disabilities

    The State Education Department has ruled that the local diploma will be available to students with disabilities. These students must still take the five required Regents exams. However, if they fail to pass one or more exams, students with disabilities who score a 55-64 would then qualify for a local diploma. This “safety net” applies to any student who has been identified through the Committee on Special Education (CSE) or through documentation on a Section 504 by a Multidisciplinary Team. It is also available to students with disabilities who have been “declassified” in grades 8-12, if recommended and documented by a CSE.

    As of July 1, 2014, students with disabilities may also qualify for two exiting credentials: the Skills and Achievement Commencement Credential, or New York State Career Development and Occupational Studies (CDOS) Commencement Credential.

    Transition Planning

    All students age 15 and older who have a disability receive transitional planning as part of the annual review of the special education program. The student’s case manager, in consultation with the transition specialist, works annually with students and their families to address post-secondary education, employment and community living goals. As students move closer to graduation, a representative from Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES, formerly known as VESID) and other community-based services may be included in the process.