- Green Island UFSD
Back to school updates from Superintendent Ross; orientation information from Principal Mazzeo
Sept. 9, 2020
Dear Heatly families,
I have a number of important updates to share with you.
- Assessment screening: An assessment screening is mandatory for all students who are coming to the school building. The screening must be completed each morning. Hybrid learners only need to complete the screening on days they are physically coming to the building. Full remote learners do not need to complete the screening.
- SchoolTool information: A demographic sheet with your contact information was sent home in the back to school packet. If your information needs to be updated, please send it to the school as soon as possible. We will use this information to provide you with updates throughout the school year.
- Technology: Students should bring their device to school every day.
- PPE/signage: As a reminder, masks are required for all students (unless they are medically unable to wear one). Please put an extra mask in your student's backpack. We have signs posted in the school noting six feet distance markers for students to stay as socially distant as possible.
- Backpacks: Backpacks are strongly encouraged this year as lockers and other storage areas will not be utilized.
- Watter bottles: Please bring a refillable water bottle with a top to school. Water fountains cannot be used. Students can fill their bottles in sinks in the classroom, the nurse's office and the main office.
- Remote learners: Reminder, remote learners must log in each day at 8 a.m. Remote learning will begin at 8:30 a.m.
- COVID tests: In the event you or your student tests positive, please notify the school immediately. The district must notify the state of all student and employees who test positive on a daily basis. This is part of Governor Cuomo's executive order regarding the COVID Report Card.
- In the event an individual in the school tests positive for COVID, the district will have an emergency remote learning day to ensure a deep cleaning can take place.
- Orientation: Students should come with their Chromebooks for orientation on Friday/
- Elementary Full Remote Learners: The designated teacher will be reaching out to every parent to discuss instructional times. Elementary Full Remote Learners will still need to log in every day at 8 a.m. to meet with their grade level teacher.
- Food Service update: Information and sign up regarding home delivery of lunches will be coming out by Friday.
I cannot wait to see everyone in person or virtually!
Superintendent of Schools
Hello Heatly students and families,
I am so excited to welcome everyone back to Heatly and I am looking forward to seeing everyone! We will be holding orientation on Friday, Sept. 11 for all students and I wanted to give you a brief email to explain how this will be happening. As you are all very well aware, this is a unique school year and we have students in both the building learning and learning from home. Therefore, we are working very hard to make sure that all the technology is working properly before we start the school year on Monday!
PreK-2 students will attend orientation from 8-10 a.m. Grades 3-6 will be attending from 9:30- 11:30 a.m. Classroom teachers will be setting up a Google Meet for the students that have chosen the Full Remote learning option. These students will join their class remotely for approximately 45 minutes. During this time, their classroom teacher will review the class procedures and view a District Orientation video. After the video, the Full Remote Option students will also be meeting with the Assigned Remote Instructor for a short period of time. These assigned teachers will be sending an email directly to students that they are assigned to. The following are the Assigned Remote Instructor per grade:
- K, 1, 2: Mrs. Lauren Cosamono
- 3rd Grade: Mrs. Melissa Smith
- 4th Grade: Mrs. Nicole Littlejohn
- 5th Grade: Mrs. Stephanie Bouchey
- 6th Grade: Mrs. Tara Canniff
High School Orientation
All students will be in for a shorter schedule on Friday. Grades 7, 8, and 9 will be attending orientation from 9-10:30 a.m. Grades 10, 11 and 12 will be attending from 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. It is imperative that all students bring their school issued Chromebooks to school on Friday. This includes the charger. All students that have chosen the in-person instruction for the first 10 weeks should report to school at those designated times. If you are a learner that has chosen the Full Remote model, you will be receiving a Google Meet invite for the Orientation. Here is the list of supervising staff that will be inviting the Full Remote learners to the Orientation:
- 7th Grade- Mrs. Hardy
- 8th Grade- Mrs. Moran
- 9th Grade- Mrs. Zeppierri
- 10th Grade- Mr. Hawkins
- 11th Grade- Mrs. Hardy
- 12th Grade- Mrs. Zeppierri
Full Remote learners must log into your assigned Google Meet at the start of the Orientation. Here you will have the opportunity to meet with that supervising teacher for attendance, report any issues with your Chromebook and view the Orientation Video that we have created. This will all take approximately 40-45 minutes. After these 40 minutes, students will meet with their 5 core teachers. During this time, teachers will make sure you have logged into their Google Classrooms and are ready to start full instruction on Monday.
In Person Instruction learners must view their schedules on School Tools prior to coming to school. Students will go directly to their first period class.
Jodi M. Mazzeo