- Green Island UFSD
MiFi hotspot application for those who do not have internet access
Sept. 28, 2020
Green Island UFSD is offering a limited number of free wireless hotspot devices to students who temporarily do not have internet access at home. This program enables families to apply to use the hotspot devices. To qualify for the hotspot, individuals must have no household internet access at the time of sign up. If your application is accepted, you will be able to “check out” internet service for up to two weeks at a time—absolutely free. Both the device and service fees are fully paid by the district.
The pilot program is intended to help students access online resources at home to help bridge the digital divide and ensure educational equity. To ensure peace of mind, these devices use internet content filtering and are scheduled so that they cannot be used between 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. These devices are configured to use a content filtering solution, and are configured to be used with Green Island Chromebooks only. The borrowing limit is one device per household, but these devices can be signed out repeatedly throughout the year if needed.
This application must be completed by the parent/guardian prior to each time a device is signed out to the student. By signing this application, the parent/guardian agrees to assume all responsibility for equipment signed out to the student. A replacement fee of $99 will be charged if the device is lost, damaged or not returned.
- Students and parents/guardians acknowledge that any issued device is and remains the property of Green Island. The student’s use of the device is a privilege and can be revoked at any time. The student must return the device at the end of the check out period, or immediately upon request.
- Student use of the device must comply with all applicable school board policies and regulations including the Student Code of Conduct. The device is to be used for educational purposes only.
- Students have no expectation of privacy in his/her use of the device. The district reserves the right to monitor the student’s use of the device.
- Students should not drop the device, get it wet, leave it outdoors or in extreme weather conditions, or use it near food or drink.
- Students may not lend the device to anyone.
- Devices reported as stolen require that parents notify police to file a report within 48 hours. A copy of an official police report must be provided to the district.
- Students and parents/guardians are not to attempt to repair the device. The district will manage all device repairs. The student and/or parent/guardian must immediately report to the district any damage to or the loss or malfunctioning of the device.
- A replacement fee of $99 will be charged if the device is lost, damaged or not returned. The district reserves the right to adjust or waive fees charged for lost, stolen or damaged devices.
Please return the completed application to the superintendent’s office. You will be notified if your application is accepted. Applications need to be submitted every two weeks if they need to be renewed.