Board candidates’ qualifications
In order to qualify to run for a seat on the Board of Education, state law requires candidates meet the following criteria:
- Must be a qualified voter of the district, that is: a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and of sound mind.
- Must be and have been a resident of the Green Island School District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election.
- May not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year.
- May not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
- May not be a current employee of the school board.
- May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
All Green Island school board members serve at large for no pay. The candidates who receive the highest number of votes on school budget day will be elected to three-year terms of office.
You can find more information about running for the School Board here.