Contact: Chris Karwiel, Business Manager
(518) 273-1422 ext. 1109
2023-24 Budget Information
On Tuesday, May 16, 2023, Green Island voters approved the budget for the 2023-24 school year:
- 2023-24 budget: $8,143,712
- Spending increase: $568,299
- Tax levy increase: $148,038
Board of Education
- There were two seats open on the board for one 3-year term. The incumbents were Nancy McNulty and Joseph Nolet.
- Candidates for this year’s Board of Education candidates were:
- Nancy McNulty: 72 votes
- Joseph Nolet: 70 votes
- On the ballot this year was a 30-passenger bus proposition. In the last two school years, the district has had to triple our budget line (nearly $500,000 per year) for contractual transportation needs such as athletics, field trips and CTE. The $15,000 a year lease would significantly decrease transportation costs while preserving access to opportunities for our learners.
- Official proposition: “Shall the Board of Education of the Green Island Union Free School District be authorized to lease and finance the cost of one 30-passenger school bus, for a period of five years, including necessary furnishings, fixtures and equipment and all other costs incidental thereto, and expend a total sum not to exceed $79,000, which is estimated to be the total maximum cost for the lease thereof, and said amount, or so much thereof as may be necessary, shall be raised by the levy of a tax upon the taxable property of said School District and collected in annual installments as provided by Section 416 of the Education Law.”
- The bus proposition passed by a vote of 64-18.
- Review enrollment data, facilities and related needs, building allocations and needs, district staffing, long-range budgetary plans and the debt service schedule
- Present budget development calendar to the Board of Education for adoption
- Administrators and supervisors review staffing, facility, construction, budget allocations and special needs requests
- Departments review their budgets, staffing and long-range needs
- Present preliminary budget forecast and budget assumptions and review the governor’s executive budget proposal
- Budget presentations and work sessions
- Dec. 1, 2022: Board of Education Meeting, 6 p.m.
Presentation/Discussion: Board of Education Budget Goals for 2023-24
- Jan. 5, 2023: Board of Education Meeting, 6 p.m.
Presentation/Discussion: Rollover Budget Presentation
- Board candidate petitions available
- Additional budget presentations and work sessions
- Feb. 2, 2023: Board of Education Meeting, 6 p.m.
Presentation/Discussion: Review of the Governor’s 2022-23 Executive Budget for Green Island
Presentation/Discussion: Non-Instructional Budget Presentation
- Final review of budget proposal by Board of Education
- Notice of school budget hearing and budget vote
- Budget discussion with academic departments, instructional technology and special education
- Analysis of anticipated revenue and grants
- March 2, 2023: Board of Education Meeting, 6 p.m.
Budget Discussion with Academic departments, Instructional Technology, and Special Education
Presentation/Discussion: Anticipated Revenue and Grants
- March 16, 2023: Board of Education Meeting, 6 p.m.
Presentation/Discussion: Instructional Budget Presentation
- Legal ads published for annual meeting (45 days prior to vote)
- Budget adoption by statutory deadline
- Board candidate petitions due by April 18
- Property tax report card due to SED and newspaper
- Publicize budget information and hold budget informational meetings
- April 6, 2023: Board of Education Meeting, 6 p.m.
Presentation/Discussion: Revenue Presentation and Combined Budget Presentation (draft)
Presentation/Discussion: State Aid and Tax Cap Update
Adoption of Property Tax Report Card
- April 18, 2023: Last day to file petitions to run for the Board of Education
- April 19, 2023: Board of Education Meeting, 6 p.m.
Presentation/Discussion: Final Budget Presentation and Adoption of the 2022-23 Budget by the Board of Education
BOCES Vote and Election
Absentee ballots mailed
- Conduct voter registration 5-14 days before vote
- Budget Hearing held 7-14 days before vote
- Mail budget notice after budget hearing, but no later than six days before vote
- Budget vote and board election
- May 4, 2023: Budget Hearing, 6 p.m.
Board of Education Meeting, 7 p.m. (following Budget Hearing)
- May 5, 2023: Budget newsletter mailed to residents
- May 8, 2023: Last day to request absentee ballot (mailed)
- May 15, 2023: Last day to request absentee ballot (in-person)
- May 16, 2023: Election Day and Budget Vote